Monday, August 8, 2011

Waka Waka

One week and one day down! One more week of full control, a week of relaxing in the classroom and taking on a few lessons, and then I go home!!

Today was such a fun day at Waka! We had two teacher birthdays today- 50 and 60 years old! (We make a big deal about the decade ones) so we had cake at morning tea and then a little party after school today with everyone. It is so cool to me that the teachers, staff, principal, EVERYONE gets together to socialize at this school. And although I think NZ might be better about this than the US, I must say Waka is very special for it. I love socializing with everyone and just hanging out. I feel like I have one big group of friends at school and I think few people can say that. It branches across all grades levels, subjects, and even beyond just the teachers, the staff and substitutes as well. If Waka were anywhere in America I would be knocking down the door to teach there for sure. I hate that it is something else in that huge list of things I will leave behind when I leave New Zealand in two weeks. It really reminds you what matters in life. I was talking to Ian (The Assistant Principal) today at the little party about NZ schools compared to the ones I have experienced in America and he said "Well you know, we stand behind the belief here at Waka that stressed out teachers make bad teachers. If we demand this and that of them, yeah they might have good reports and polished lesson plans, but they won't be effective in the classroom". Wow. Now I realize this is not a end-all-be-all to teaching because yes, there has to be accountability, but it was so refreshing to hear him talk about his teachers with such confidence, knowing they are all doing what needs to be done without a pile of paperwork to prove it. I pray that American schools can look more like this. I know I would work 2 or 3 extra weeks a year to have that 20 minute morning tea and an hour for lunch each day. It makes the day so much less stressful and the teaching so much more effective. The students are in shape due to all their exercise and when they are in the classroom, they are more focused for having that free time in between. It is a beautiful system and who knows, maybe one day I will be the principal of a charter school and can implement these same things (because Lord knows they will never happen in a public school! Unless of course I become the Secretary of Education...hmmmm)

Anyways, off my soap box...tomorrow I have my lecturer observation and evaluation from the University of Auckland. Katie and I have worked together to create a ballin' lesson plan, so I hope the kids behave and it all runs smoothly! :)

This weekend into Auckland to celebrate Lauren's birthday and send them off! Carolyn, Alix and Lauren all came to NZ a week before me and so they will be leaving a week before me as well. Then next weekend we are having a Waka party at Amy and Brett's to celebrate one last time before I leave! Cheers to so many celebrations for new chapters in life!

1 comment:

  1. Precious, you are ready to come home but you will have left such an amazing impression on all of the children and the adults that they will always remember how sweet,honest,caring and just a beautiful person they will for always have in their memories of you. I thank GOD for allowing me to have you as a special grand-daughter to share your beauty of love to another country.
    Every little step you made while in NZ will leave a sweet impression that Marissa Arin Croft
    passed by. As I have said so many times, memories are all a person has. Try to keep all of the good ones in your memory bank. I suppose memories are called "BLOGS" this day in time. I sent you a package, so call me as soon as you get it. I miss you and I love you.

    ReplyDelete